Shopping for Passover can be a stressful and expensive time. Many people have noticed and are concerned about the increased prices in stores this year.
Our friends over at The US and KLBD got in touch to discuss what recipe we can make that will offer a cost saving and make keeping Kosher for Passover more accessible?
We’ve put together this quick and easy Mayonnaise recipe that will take under 5 minutes and cost less than £2.50 to make. Better yet, the ingredients are available and approved Kosher for Passover across the UK by the KLBD (see full Pesach 2023 guidance).
Our recipe uses the ‘stick blender method’, and you will need a simple stick blender with beaker.
This mayonnaise will last for 3 days in the fridge, and produces around 500ml (2 heaped cups) of mayonnaise. The recipe can, of course, be halved for a smaller amount.
- 2 Eggs*
- 2 cups of Sunflower Oil**
- The juice of half a lemon***
- 1/4 tsp Salt (Saxa Fine Salt is Certified for Passover by KLBD, no logo)
- 1/2 tsp Sugar (Tate & Lyle Granulated and Caster Sugar are Certified for Passover by KLBD and bear a KLBD-P logo)
*This recipe uses fresh eggs, which can be problematic for pregnant women, those living with a compromised immune system, and young children. Those that are concerned with the use of fresh, uncooked eggs may prefer to use pasteurised eggs–this will slightly increase the cost. Pasteurised eggs require Kosher for Passover certification (available at kosher shops).
**You can add ‘See which brands are KLBD Certified for Pesach at IS IT KOSHER FOR PASSOVER?
***We have only tested this recipe with freshly squeezed lemon juice. We do not recommend using bottled lemon juice but if you choose to, this needs to be certified for Passover.
- Put two eggs into the bottom of your beaker.
- Squeeze in juice of half a lemon – use a strainer or sieve to keep out pips and pulp.
- Add in two cups of oil.
- Wait for the eggs and oil to naturally separate in the beaker, eggs at the bottom, oil on top.
- Push stick blender down to the base of beaker and start blending on lowest setting.
- You’ll immediately see the emulsification begin but keep the stick blender firmly on the base of the blender.
- Blend until a large amount has emulsified (around 20-30 seconds). You may notice pools of oil that aren’t emulsifying, at which point you can slowly lift the blender up a bit to capture the oil and push it back down to continue emulsifying. Keep blending.
- Once it has mostly emulsified bring the blender up through the mixture slowly and continue to blend until all combined. Move the blender up and down through the mixture until fully combined and emulsified.
- Add in 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp sugar (optional) and mix through using the stick blender.
- That’s it – easy and cheap homemade mayonnaise that’s Kosher for Passover!