- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 kilo brisket cut into 1 inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cans (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 (50g) can tomato paste
- 8 cups (2 litres) chicken stock
- 1 small cabbage, core removed and finely shredded
- 1/4 cup (45 9) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml/2 fl oz) white wine vinegar
In a large soup pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Season the brisket with salt and pepper. Add to the pot and cook, turning until seared on all sides 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the same pot. Add the onions and a generous pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
Return the browned brisket to the pot and add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste (purée), stock, and cabbage. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, partially cover, and simmer until the vegetables and meat are tender, about 2-3 hours. Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.