- 10 cups fresh salted popcorn (made from about 3/4 cup popping corn)
- 200g (1 cup) light or dark brown sugar
- 85g (1/4 cup) corn or golden syrup
- 85g (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (optional)
Pre heat oven to 300 F (150 C). Line a very large baking sheet with aluminium foil, set aside.
Place popped corn in a large mixing bowl, set aside. Have a heavy-duty spatula ready to use.
In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, melt together the sugar, butter, syrup and salt. Clip on the candy thermometer and let boil until it reads 250 F.
Remove pan from heat, add in the baking soda and vanilla (if using), mix and immediately pour caramel over the popcorn. Mix with spatula, pour mix into prepared baking sheet and place in the oven. For the next half hour, mix the popcorn every 5 minutes until caramel is well distributed and is well adhered to the corn. Cool completely before placing in an air tight container.