What a year it has been! Anyone who said ‘life is like a box of chocolates’ didn’t live through 2020! Life over the last year has most definitely been a rocky road!
You will find below the volumes you need and method for a basic Rocky Road, use what you love, or in the case of most of us, what you have available to make your own Rocky Road mix and match creation!
- 600g bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- 120g (¾ cup) chocolate chips (either milk chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter, white chocolate chips, or as I often do a whole chocolate bar broken up into small pieces)
- 120g (1 ¼- 1 ½ cups) cookies, broken up (Oreos, chocolate chip, oatmeal, peanut butter, shortbread…any kind of cookie will do)
- 180g (2 cups) mini marshmallows
- 140g (1 cup) dry roasted peanuts (or any nut or dried fruit, or a mixture of both, or extra cookies)
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
Line a 20cm x 30cm (9×13 inch) tin with baking paper, set aside.
Place the melted chocolate and oil in a large bowl, mix to combine. Once mixed together remove about ½ a cup (75g) of the chocolate mixture and set aside.
Add to the bowl, the broken up cookies, marshmallows, and nuts (or dried fruit) and mix to combine – until everything is coated in chocolate, add the chocolate chips (or broken up chocolate bar) last (so the residual heat of the melted chocolate doesn’t melt the additional chocolate), mix until well combined, spoon into the prepared tin and smooth top.
Pour the reserved half cup of chocolate over the rocky road and even out. Sprinkle with salt and refrigerate for 30 minutes until set. Cut into bars
The rocky road will keep for 2 weeks in a cool place in an airtight container.