- 1 ½ kilo (3 pounds) chestnut mushrooms, cut in half if large
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 (32 oz containers) vegetable broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup soya cream/whipping cream/coconut cream (optional – but highly recommended)
Preheat oven to 200˚C (400°F).
Line 2 large baking sheets with foil. Divide mushrooms between prepared baking sheets. Drizzle mushrooms on each sheet with 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Bake mushrooms 30 minutes.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large pot over medium- high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is tender, about 8 minutes. Add brandy and simmer until almost all of liquid evaporates, about 30 seconds. Add flour; stir 2 minutes. Add one and a half containers of the broth and thyme. Stir cooked mushrooms. Simmer over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
Using an immersion blender, blend soup until you reach desired consistency slowly adding the remaining soup, and cream if using. Check for seasoning, serve piping hot.