Though topping these brownies with mini marshmallows may be easier, you are likely to get a better cut using marshmallow cream.
- 235g (15 whole) graham crackers (or digestives)
- 115g (½ cup / 8 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 300g (10 oz) 70% coach solids chocolate, broken up into chunks
- 225g (1 cup) butter (or vegan alternative), cubed
- 5 Medium (4 large) eggs, beaten
- 350g (1 ½ cups) Golden caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 190g (1 ½ cups) plain flour
- 175g (6.2 oz) mini marshmallows Or 1 Jar (213g) of marshmallow cream
1. Heat oven to 180°C (350℉). Line a 20 x 30cm (9 x 13inch) cake tin with two sheets of aluminum foil, laid perpendicular to each other and then greased. The foil should hang over the sides a bit.
2. For the crust: Combine graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and sugar until you have a mixture that resembles wet sand. Firmly pat crumbs into prepared pan and bake until firm and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and set aside.
3. For the brownies: While the crust is baking, melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Or in a microwave-safe bowl, blasting in 20-second bursts and stirring between each blast until smooth. Cool the mixture slightly before adding the eggs.
4. Add the eggs to the cooled chocolate mixture, mix well, add the sugar, flour and add a pinch of salt. Mix until blended.
5. Pour into the tin and bake for 22-27 minutes (don’t use convection; the brownies will just become dry). The outsides will look crackled and the inside will feel firm but will still be gooey.
6. For the marshmallow topping: Switch the oven to broil and move the rack to a couple of inches below the broiler. Sprinkle brownies evenly with a single layer of marshmallows. Return pan with brownies to oven and broil until marshmallows are lightly browned, 1 to 3 minutes. (Watch oven constantly. Marshmallows will melt slightly but should hold their shape.) Immediately remove pan from oven.
7. While still warm. Coat knife with cooking spray to prevent the marshmallows from sticking. Using the foil, lift brownies from pan to cutting board. Slide foil out from under brownies and cut brownies into squares.