Inspired by Seder plates from around the world, this salad is a combination of karpas (green or root vegetable) favourites, such as radish and celery, alongside romaine lettuce and endive leaves representing marror and chazeret (bitter herbs). The cool, bitter leaves are topped with a deconstructed taste of charoset, including chopped dates and walnuts and finely sliced apples, for a salad that delivers a satisfying salty, sweet and savoury crunch. This bright spring salad cuts through the bold flavours of our Passover Fried Chicken (P.F.C.), Kosher for Passover BBQ Dipping Sauce and Marror Mashed Potatoes perfectly, completing our ‘Ma Nishtana’ Seder Night menu.
- Romaine lettuce (we used baby romaine)
- Red & green endive (we used baby endives)
- Apples (we used Pink Lady)
- Radish, thinly sliced
- Walnuts, roughly chopped
- Dates, roughly chopped
For the Dressing:
- Juice of half a large Lemon
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1.5 tbsp Date Syrup
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Wash and check your ingredients for bugs, according to guidelines.
- Toss together the lettuce, endive, fennel, celery, apples and radish.
- Thoroughly mix together all the dressing ingredients, or shake up in a small jar.
- Dress salad and top with chopped dates and walnuts.
Photo credit: Sophy Weiss Photography