Adapted from Bon Appetite
*Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
**Kabanos topping can be made 1 day ahead, cover and refrigerate, but bring to room temperature before serving.
- 5 kabanos sausages, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 1½-inch piece ginger, peeled, cut into very thin matchsticks
- ½ tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- 180ml (¾ cup) vegetable oil
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 small rotisserie chicken, skin removed, meat shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 3 green onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- Flakey sea salt (for serving)
- Black sesame seeds (for serving)
Cook kabanos in a dry medium skillet over medium heat, turning slices occasionally, until brown and crisp, 5 minutes. Add the ginger to the pan and cook for 2 minutes longer. Turn off the heat and add the black sesame seeds. Mix and set aside until ready to assemble the salad.
Whisk soy sauce, tahini, miso, sesame oil, and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth.
Whisk egg yolk and soy sauce mixture together and very gradually stream in vegetable oil (almost drop by drop), whisking constantly until mayonnaise is emulsified and thick. Thin dressing with a tablespoon or two of water if needed; you want it to be the consistency of heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper.
Alternatively, you can do this in a blender, add the egg yolk and soy sauce mixture to the blender, and slowly stream in the oil.
To assemble the salad: Toss chicken and ½ cup dressing in a large bowl to coat. Add lettuce, green onions (scallions), and another ½ cup dressing and toss again; season with salt and pepper. Top with kabanos and ginger mixture sprinkle with a drop of salt and extra sesame seeds.