- 200g (1cup) basmati rice
- 400g (1 tin/can) chickpeas
- 250g (about 3 medium) ripe tomato, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 10 black olives, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch fresh parsley (about 20g) finely chopped
- ½ bunch fresh basil (about 10g) roughly torn
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 40g (¼ cup) pine nuts toasted
Cook the rice, simply either in a rice cooker or pot, add two cups of water a teaspoon salt and ½ tablespoon oil to the rice, and cook over medium heat covered, until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
In a large bowl combine, cooked ride, drained and rinsed chickpeas, chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, chopped olives, parsley, and basil, add lemon juice and olive oil. Mix well season generously with salt and pepper.
Just before serving, check the seasoning again as the rice will absorb quite a lot of it, top with pine nuts and serve at room temperature.