Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 20-30 mins
One of the most joyful things about cooking is experimentation, and we love a versatile recipe. A vegetarian alternative to our meat-stuffed aubergines, the recipe below is for a mushroom, spinach and tomato-filled aubergine, topped with cheese, but almost everything about this recipe is optional. A great way to use up whatever vegetables, herbs and greens are knocking about in the fridge, the only essential part here is the aubergine! The rest can be switched and changed to suit your mood. Fresh or dried herbs, onions and garlic can be used, chillis and peppers can be added, spinach and tomatoes and mushrooms can be left out. Even the cheese can be left off to make the dish vegan, and matzah meal or breadcrumbs can be used to add a crunchy top. Follow your tastebuds and have fun trying out different fillings!
A great option for a dairy meal on Shabbat, Pesach or Shavuot, an ideal stuffed dish for Rosh Hashanah or Succot, or just a tasty, budget-friendly midweek dinner that can be made at scale and whipped up in half an hour, this recipe should absolutely be a staple in your vegetarian arsenal.
- 1 Aubergine
- 2 Tomatoes
- 4 Mushrooms
- 1/2 Onion (optional)
- 2 handfuls Spinach
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Oregano, Basil, Thyme or other fresh/dried herbs of your choice (optional)
- 1 cup grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC Fan/400ºF)
- Cut aubergine in half.
- Scoop out the flesh, leaving approx 1cm (1/2in) around the edge. Set aside flesh for the filling.
- Rub oil over aubergine boats and roast in oven until golden and softened, approx 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop up the scooped out aubergine flesh, mushrooms and tomatoes.
- Add a little oil to a pan over a medium heat and add the chopped veg.
- Cook down until soft, 5-6 minutes, then season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil and thyme (or whatever herbs you prefer). You can use fresh onion, garlic and herbs if preferred.
- Once softened, set aside the mixture in a bowl.
- In the same pan, add the spinach, season with salt and pepper and wilt down, stirring regularly.
- Leave wilted spinach to cool, then squeeze out liquid and chop up.
- Combine the chopped vegetable mixture and spinach, stuff into the cooked aubergine boats and top with cheese.
- Return to the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown and everything has warmed through.