- 1½ cups (375 g) long-grain basmati rice
- 2 cups (470 ml) water
- 1¼ (295 ml) cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 115 g orzo
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 450 g brown button mushrooms, cut in half or quarters if large
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Combine the water and broth in a small pot and let heat over a medium flame, while cooking the onions.
In a large flat pan with a cover, heat olive oil over a medium heat, add onion and mushrooms and sauté until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add orzo and rice and stir to coat. Cook until edges of rice grains begin to turn translucent, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the hot broth mixture and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice and pasta are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork. Season with salt and pepper and top with parsley.