Serves 6 as a side
Prep time: 5-10 mins | Cooking time: 15 minutes
A seasonal and refreshing accompaniment to meat, chicken, dairy or fish meals, which also gives a nod to the Simanim with the inclusion of gourds in the form of courgette and the sweetness of honey-caramelised onions. A great base for a light lunch with whatever protein you prefer, this vibrant green salad is fantastic for lunchboxes and a delicious choice for a Shabbat, Yom Tov or any day of the week! If you’re making this salad for Rosh Hashanah, add baby leaf spinach or swiss chard for an extra Siman boost.
You can download a printable sheet with all the Simanim blessings here.
- 1 Courgette, ribboned
- 1 pack Rocket (160g approx)
- 2-3 cups frozen Peas, defrosted
- 1 large Red Onion,
- ribboned and salted
- ½ tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Honey
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1½ tbsp Mint, washed, checked
- and finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp Parsley, finely chopped
- Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Small squeeze Lemon juice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Heat ½ tbsp oil in a frying pan and add in ribboned courgette and black pepper to taste. Lightly fry over for 2-3 minutes until al dente.
- Remove courgette from the pan onto some kitchen towel, and then add salted onions into the pan. Add a touch more oil if required.
- Cook over a medium heat until starting to soften, then add 1 tbsp honey and stir. Cook for a further 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly, until caramelised, then remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Wash, check and dry the rocket and place onto a serving platter or into a shallow serving bowl.
- Scatter your peas, mint and parsley on top of the leaves.
- Twirl ribbons of courgette with a fork and evenly distribute.
- Sprinkle over the zest of 1 lemon and squeeze over a little juice.
- Finish with a final drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and top with scattered ribbons of caramelised red onion, then serve.
(Image by Yaffa Judah)