Served with Quinoa Salad
by Raffles Fulton (@rafflescooks)
This recipe appears on episode 1 of ‘Ready Steady Shuk’
Prep time: 25 mins | Cooking time: 25 mins | Serves 2
For the shakshuka
- 1/2 Aubergine, diced
- 1/2 cup Onion or Shallots, diced
- 2 Salad Tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup Passata
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup Feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup Spring Onion, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh basil, roughly torn
For the salad
- 100g (1/2 cup) Quinoa
- 200ml (1 cup) water
- 1/2 large or 2 small Cucumbers, diced
- 12-16 cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Feta, cubed
- 2 tsp fresh basil, roughly torn
- In an deep (oven-proof*) frying pan, fry together aubergine, onion/shallots, salad tomatoes and bell pepper in a little oil until soft, and season to taste.
- Add chopped tomatoes and passata.
- Simmer and reduce on low heat for 20-25 minutes until the colour has darkened and the shakshuka mixture has become thicker in consistency.
- Make 4 shallow wells and, one at a time, crack eggs into a small bowl and pour carefully into a well in the shakshuka.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes (depending on desired runniness of your eggs).
*If you wish to finish the shakshuka under a grill, ensure your pan is oven proof and adjust your cooking times accordingly.
- Top with crumbled feta, basil and spring onions and serve.
Whilst the shakshuka is simmering…
- Wash your quinoa thoroughly and drain well (This will remove any bitterness).
- Combine 100g quinoa and 200ml water in a pan. Bring to boil over a medium-high heat and then reduce to a light simmer.
- Cook uncovered for 10-20 minutes, until the quinoa has absorbed all the water.
- Remove from heat and cover for 5 minutes. Your quinoa should pop open and form little curlicues.
- Remove lid, and fluff up with a fork.
- Season with salt to taste and add cucumber, cherry tomatoes, cubed feta and basil.