by Emily Theodore
This recipe appears on episode 1 of ‘Ready Steady Shuk’
Prep time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 40 mins | Serves 2
- 1 Aubergine
- 2 Salad Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 Green and/or Yellow Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/4 Cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup heirloom or cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp chopped Parsley
- 1/2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup feta, cubed or crumbled (optional)
- 1 tbsp Oil for frying
- Slice the aubergine in half lengthways and scoop out the centre into a bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to a frying pan.
- Fry onion until soft and add garlic. Continue to fry for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the inners of the aubergine to the pan, continuing to stir regularly. Add the 2 chopped salad tomatoes and fry until all ingredients are cooked through (approx 3-5 minutes). Season to taste.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, and fill each of the hollow aubergine halves with half the filling.
- Place on a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven on 200°C / 180°C fan (Gas Mark 6 / 400°F) for 30 minutes, or until the aubergines have softened. Top with crumbled feta and bake for a further 2-3 minutes.
Whilst the aubergines are in the oven…
- Mix together the remaining two diced tomatoes, cucumber, heirloom/cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, parsley and, optionally, diced red onion, and add salt/pepper to taste. Leave to rest for a few minutes before serving, to allow the flavours to infuse.